Monday, April 16, 2012

Stay at home mommy

Because I have the wonderful privilege to stay at home with Julia (and now that school is out for the summer) I have decided to take up some new hobbies to pass the time.

  1. Gardening. I am in no way a green thumb. My mom and dad are very talented in this area and perhaps it will decide to run in the family. So far I have a mostly alive flower that I got over a month ago--quite the feat. Soon-ish I will plant seeds for some pretty wildflowers and vegetables in my back yard. I will of course document my success/failure on our domestic goddess blog.Wish me luck.
  2. Family history- I have taken genealogy classes at BYU and so this isn't my first time around the block. Now that I kind of know what I'm doing, I just need to do it. I have the time, so no excuses.
  3. Reading- This should not be a "new" hobby, but it feels like it is. I feel like reading history books for school is not leisurely at all and so I think that recreational reading will be good for me. I have a couple of books I bought at the Provo Library's sale, and I also think I want/need to read the Hunger Games. Any other suggestions? 

1 comment:

Nikki Devey said...

I love book recommendations!

These are ones I've read and loved:

Gathering Blue, Lois Lowry
The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
Earth Abides, George R. Stewart
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
The Declaration, Gemma Malley (I own this one and #2 in the trilogy)

These are ones friends have recommended that are on my reading list:

The Road, Cormac McCarthy
The Returners, Gemma Malley
Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert
Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin (non-fiction)
Before I Go To Sleep, S.J. Watson

If you like churchy books, I own these but haven't read them yet:

Divine Signatures: The Confirming Hand of God, Gerald N. Lund
The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament, James L. Ferrell
To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson, Heidi S. Swinton

So maybe a little more than you were asking for, but I just copied it all from the sidebar on my blog :)