Friday, March 8, 2013

Creamy tomato pasta with sausage

Very rarely am I in the mood for sausage in my pasta, but the mood hit and I had to oblige! I've made it before and I have a picky eater on my hands, so this version is actually healthier since I pureed the heck out of the vegetables and I didn't have to worry about anyone seeing chunks. No one ever knew...

Ingredients
2-3 Italian sausages (or bratwurst)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 can stewed tomatoes (plain flavored is best)
1/2 box penne pasta
2 Tbl sour cream
1/4 c milk
1 tea sugar
oil
S&P for seasoning

Start your water for your pasta first.
Get your sausages cooking on medium heat and cover. (yes, I did 2 1/2 sausages...there were 5 in a pack so I wanted it to be even...)















On medium heat, add oil to a large skillet and add the carrots, garlic and onions. Once the onions begin to become translucent, add the peppers, basil and salt/pepper (just a dash). As the peppers soften, add a can of stewed tomatoes. Turn off the heat.















At this point your water should be ready for the pasta. Salt the water and add the pasta.

Take your vegetables and add to a blender/food processor/magic bullet and puree! If your family doesn't mind chunks you can leave some, otherwise let it blend until it looks like this. (I did my tomatoes separately since I have a magic bullet, hence the very orange looking sauce...)
 


Drain your pasta and add your beautiful sauce, add the sour cream, add the milk and the sugar. Once your sausages are done cooking, chop them however you like (I do it at an angle...something about it seems more fancy) and add them to the pasta. Garnish however you'd like and enjoy!


No comments: