Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Savvy Shopping

So a few months ago I read on my friends blog about saving a ton of money when grocery shopping. Through the links on her site I found some awesome places to get coupons- both digital (loaded onto my Smith's card) and paper coupons. Some sites you can print out the coupons right away, and some send them to you. I usually consider myself a savvy shopper and will literally research tons of products at different places making sure that I get the right price. Brenan hates this. Yes it saves money, but it takes a lot of time to get what we're looking for. Luckily for me (and him I guess), I do most of the shopping without him. Some stores make it easy to get great deals. Hence this weeks blog. Smiths is having a sale where if you buy 10 participating items, you get $5 off. Fiscally, to get the best deal, you buy the cheapest items that are participating, bringing your total down. For example: pasta, Campbell's soup, Propel, Del Monte canned tomatoes, and toothbrushes were a grand total of fifty cents to a dollar each after the $5 was taken off. So, 10 items, $5. Not too bad. Wait, unless you have coupons. I went to campbellssoup.com and got coupons for $1.50 off 3 cans of soup. That's swell since I was already buying them. So I printed 4. That meant that 12 of my cans were FREE. Then I got coupons off of coupons.com and smartsource.com for $1 off Colgate toothbrushes. Fantastic, the final price on those bad boys was FREE. Oh and razors you ask? $5 off plus they were on sale for $2.33- I made $2.67 on that deal. But what about the toilet paper? Smiths online site lets you add digital coupons to your card, so my already on-sale toilet paper was an additional $3 off. Now here is the big grabber- when a coupon says $3 off 3 of x items, pick the 3 of x items that are the cheapest. Why buy 3 frostings for $4.50, when you can get a cake mix and 2 frostings for $4. Hello savings. Whenever it says that you have to buy x amount, buy only x amount and buy the cheapest/smallest participating items. 

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures what I got, hence the 2 views, but I will list it off for you:
32 rolls toilet paper, chocolate chip cookie mix, 2 frostings, 1 cake mix, 2 toothbrushes, 4 bags of cheese, 5 Propels, 1 box finish dishwasher detergent, Olay body wash, 4 packages pasta, 4-pack razors, 16 cans Campbell's soup, 5 cans chicken broth, 10 cans vegetables, and 6 cans tomatoes.

My total savings was $85.81 broken down: $25.30 in coupons and $60.51 in Freshvalue savings.
Grand total?? $24.53 for 60 items. Now that's what I call a deal.

On a side note, if you use reusable bags at Smiths they give you 5 bonus points/bag. That's $5 you don't have to spend to get points. Target gives you 5 cents off per bag.

Check out shopnsmart.com for more tips/deals.

No comments: