Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pearl Harbor Day

Dear World,

Yesterday was Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. I don't know if that's the "official" title, but that's what I call it. For me, it all started on December 7, 2001, the 60th anniversary of the attacks. My then best friend Valena and I watched it together for the first time. We balled. A lot. My dad thought we were such freaks for crying during the movie. Every year since then I have decided that I would always watch the movie Pearl Harbor to remember the attacks of that day. For some reason, I hold this tradition really close to my heart. It's not like I was there, but my grandma and great uncle were alive when it happened. Plus, I have this ridiculous secret obsession with the 40's and 50's and WWII. Trust me, I have no idea where it all came from. Moral of the story is that I hope everyone took a minute to think about all of the lives that were lost that day and to think of the poor men and women that are still trapped in the harbor. It is my dream to go there some day to personally pay my respects. As President Roosevelt said, it is "a date which will live in infamy."

Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: