Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pancake Secrets

Ok everyone, so I've been a little busy, let's take it easy. Before I was pregnant, and perhaps always, I have had this love for pancakes. It comes and goes but sometimes all I want to eat is pancakes. And not just quick out-of-the-box pancakes, but real homemade pancakes. Last winter I seriously made homemade pancakes twice a week. Working at the St. Regis has made me love breakfast food since I'm always around it and their pancakes are to die for (I got the recipe once, but my conversion from grams to regular measuring didn't work out so well, so I'm not posting the recipe quite yet).

Whenever it's slow at work I try to hang out with the chefs in the exhibition kitchen. They're all pretty cool guys and are willing to answer all of my silly questions, or just chat. One day the question came up: What's the secret to good pancakes?

And here it is:


Cook them 75% on one side then 25% on the other side instead of the usual 50/50. This helps the pancakes to rise better and become more fluffy than if you had cooked them evenly on both sides. Genius, who knew?!

Use room temperature eggs and buttermilk. I never would have thought of this, but when you're adding butter to homemade pancakes you don't want it to ball up because the eggs and buttermilk are too cold.

And don't overmix the batter (heard that a million times).

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

Ooh good tips! Thank you for sharing! I'll have to make pancakes now!