Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Frosting Secret

I love frosting. I like to make homemade as much as possible and I always used to run into this problem- I could always taste the powdered sugar once I was done...yuck!  So, while working at the St. Regis I became great friends with the pastry chef and this is what he told me is the secret to frosting--add corn syrup. It helps break down the powdered sugar (like how the milk does) without dissolving it and losing its consistency. So for today, here is my favorite frosting recipe (for now). I'm in the midst of finding/trying new recipes that are as to die for...

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
*2 TBL corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. *Add in 2 TBL corn syrup and beat about 20 sec longer. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

*My addition to the recipe.

No comments: