Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Triple chocolate cake

This is a little late, but here is the amazing 4-layer chocolate cake that I made for Valentine's Day. Brenan and I had stressful day that day so I decided to make something extra decadent.

Triple chocolate cake

















Ingredients
Cake
Okay, I admit it, I took the easy way out and used a box mix this time. Devil's Food to be precise. If you have the time or if boxed isn't your thing, make your favorite cakes using 2 9"pans. Cool the cakes and slice in half horizontally. For the best results, use a long sharp knife.

Frosting
I used the recipe from my previous post, found here. Once your cake layers are cooled, put 1/3 of your frosting into a plastic ziploc or pastry bag  and pipe it onto the first layer. Repeat with 2 more layers. This is a great technique to frost because you won't pull up crumbs while trying to spread frosting. I piped a tight spiral onto each layer except the top. Once you stack your layers the frosting spreads out and voila, perfectly frosted layers!

Icing
To prevent this cake from being too rich, I made an icing for the top instead of using frosting.
recipe
1/2 cadbury dairy milk bar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Melt the chocolate bar on med-low heat, adding 2 TBL of the milk to help it thin out. Turn off the heat and add the powdered sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add more milk to thin out the consistency, you'll want it to be nearly like corn syrup in consistency. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then drizzle over the top of the cake.

With the rest of the Cadbury bar, use a potato peeler to shave chocolate curls for the top of the cake.

No comments: