Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Why I'll Miss ABF

It just hit me today that Alex is leaving in a week to enter the Missionary Training Center for his mission to San Antonio, Texas. To put it simply, I will miss that guy a lot. Alex and I have a different relationship than the rest of our siblings. In our nucleus we are the only whole-blooded siblings. We have lots of half/step brother and sisters, but the fact that we grew up together from day one and that we have gone through so much together makes our bond a lot stronger than with some of our other siblings. And yes, I'm playing the favorite card right now. Here's why. Growing up Alex and I were always close. Even though we are seven years apart we always managed to get along most of the time and stay close. We went through the divorce together, moving, adapting to new step-parents, divorce-related fighting (let's be real, how many divorces are happy? Not a lot). My dad says that I'll miss him/he'll miss me more than my mom because I raised him. I don't believe that. I think that us growing up together and being there for each other is while I'll miss him. When he was little and would cry because he missed our dad, I would talk him to sleep by telling him to dream of happy things-- like Batman, or video games, or whatever. He probably doesn't remember that, but I do. Another reason I'll miss him is because he is so freaking hilarious. If you know Alex you know this to be true. He's a laid back kind of guy and gets along well with pretty much anyone he meets. I know that will be such a great trait to have on his mission. I'll miss joking with him (we just get each other, ya know?), playing Mario and Michael Jackson Dance with him, watching movies that we are slightly obsessive about (Moulin Rouge), and having sleepovers. Yes, as adults we do that. He'll come to my house and hang out with me and the kids, or I'll stay up there with the kids. Oh, speaking of, Julia...she loves Uncle Alex so much, I hope she adjusts okay to him being gone. He'll probably miss her more than he misses me (most people do...). I feel like I'm writing an obituary, HE'S NOT DEAD, he's just gone for two years and I will only be able to receive mail/emails from him. That will be weird because we've never done that before. Starting next Wednesday, my brother will be Elder Fuentez. I don't know if I'll be able to say goodbye without crying, or say anything that I've written, so that's why I'm writing it now. Just in case.



No comments: